Most people look at the Internet like they do public speaking. They are afraid of it. The technology is overwhelming. The advances are constant and come at you from every direction.
Even if you are not scared, you may be confused and not even aware of what you need to succeed on the Internet. One thing is certain. You cannot ignore the Internet and you must have e-mail and a website at a minimum to properly and effectively communicate and market your business in today’s world.
Think of the Internet as another form of media, like newspapers, radio or television. The real differences are that the Internet is faster, cheaper, always available, and very personal.
Here are some tips to help make your Internet experience pay off:
- Choose a hosting company that will provide personalized service and that has the clout to get you help when you need it, such as when your e-mail goes down.
- Register your own domain name. It is your territory and title on the Internet. Use it to advertise and brand your own name, not the identity of another provider like AOL, MSN, Yahoo or others (mail@YourDomain.com vs. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Make sure you know the domain registrar, your user name and password to manage your domain. It’s yours, so make certain you own it and have direct access to it.
- Make sure your website is optimized with strategically placed keywords and tags for the search engines to find you – it is free advertisement and a way to draw prospects to youRegister your website locally. You improve your chances of being on the first page of a search engine by eliminating competition with businesses outside of your area.
- Have menus and links on your site that are simple to use and look the same on all pages.
- Content should demonstrate your professionalism and provide value to the reader.
- Keep the site fresh on an ongoing basis by adding company or product news, links to other sites that offer information of value to your customers, photographs or other artwork, videos, blogs, etc.
- Use social media (e.g., LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) to demonstrate your expertise and draw potential customers to you.
Don’t make your life any more difficult . . . make it easier for your prospects to find you to generate more business . . . and don’t be scared. Site Me is here to help.